Thursday, February 3, 2011

Now this is cool.

The Eagles might not have much to do on the field during the week leading up to the Super Bowl, but that doesn't mean that they're not doing things off the field. This morning, DeSean Jackson, Todd Herremans and Jamaal Jackson all appeared on the ABC show The View. Is that a show that I would normally watch? Not unless I didn't have a choice, but they were there for a very good reason this morning.

You see, 13 year old Nadin Khoury was attacked by a group of other teenagers back in January and was left hangning on a fence by his jacket. One of the kids, if you can call them that, filmed the whole thing on his cell phone, and the incident just came to light. Six of the apparent seven assaulters have been arrested, and today, Khoury went on television to talk about his experience and how people need to know more about bullying.

This is one of those times that I want to get on my soapbox. As someone that had to deal with people either teasing or trying to fight me, I know what it's like to be bullied. It still affects me today. There are some things that are part of my subconscious now that I can't get rid of, and that's due to what happened to me back in grade and high school. Not many people speak up about it, and in this day and age, more and more kids can film what they do and brag about it. That's what almost happened here, but Nadin is standing up for himself.

Luckily, the Philadelphia Eagles found out about this situation, and they got involved. Today, Jackson, Herremans and Jamaal Jackson showed up in New York City in support of Khoury, and DeSean gave him the jersey off of his back. The Eagles didn't have to tell their players to do this. Those three were there anyway, and it's stories like this that make people feel better about professional athletes in general. For every Michael Vick or Ben Roethlisbeger story, there's something like this that goes unseen. Well, I want to make sure that people see it.

Here's the clip from the show. Try not to get a bit emotional during the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment