Friday, November 6, 2009

Brett Myers Will Not Be Resigned

I'm sure you've heard by now, but just two days after the Phillies lost the World Series, the blocks are already starting to fall on some of the players. According to Jim Salisbury, Myers was told today by Ruben Amaro Jr. that the Phillies will not be offering him a contract when the right hander enters free agency. Myers had been with the team since the Phils drafted him in the first round back in 1999, if you can believe that, and the 29 year old will be playing for someone else next season.

Myers never reached the levels of success that the Phillies front office thought he could achieve, but I still remember having a lot of hope for him after his 14 win season in 2003. He finishes his Phillies career with a record of 73-63, with 21 saves. I'm always one to believe that every team needs at least one drunken redneck around, and without Brett Myers, the Phillies need to at least attempt to fill that void. He wasn't the best pitcher, or the most likable for some of the things that he did, but I always enjoyed watching him pitch, just because you could never know if he was going to have one of those amazing games.

As he told Ruben Amaro today: "OK, thanks for putting up with my shit." That pretty much sums him up in a nutshell. I know I'll miss you, Brett. For four years, you were the only pitcher I saw when I went to Phillies games. I don't know what I'm going to do now. Best of luck to you, wherever you end up...unless it's Atlanta.

Phillies Zone: Myers will not return to Phillies

No comments:

Post a Comment