Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Game I Wish I Could Forget

Here's an older blog I posted back after the Eagles made the Super Bowl. Reading this still hurts.


Well, it finally happened. After 20 years of waiting, the Philadelphia Eagles, my team, made it to the Super Bowl. In their way, just the team of the decade, the New England Patriots. Before the game, I had it all planned out...I had a victory column all set and ready to go, but it was not meant to be. I was going to put this out sooner, but it's been two weeks since the game, and it's taken me this long just to look at the boxscore. Anyway, here's a little play by play about how my night went.

4:30-I show up at my dad's house, where he's busy cleaning his car out to kill some time. Still two hours until kickoff, and I have no idea how I'm going to last. I go inside, where my stepmom isn't watching pregame stuff, but Dumbo instead. Having no other options, I sit and watch the end of the movie.

6:25-Some Van Damme movie has just ended, and it's almost time to start. We quickly change the channel to Fox, and get ready for the biggest game of my life. The butterflies are really going now and I proceed to keep asking for my cheesesteak which is sitting in the oven.

6:35-Will Smith is introducing the Eagles. It really is happening. I still don't believe it. I'm rocking back and forth on the couch like a maniac. NO MORE COMMERCIALS!

6:45-Following the worst coin toss ever, the Eagles get the ball. Just one more commercial, and here we go.

(The rest of this is just going to be my reactions to certain plays. NFL.com has given me the exact time and quarter.)

45 seconds into the 1st quarter-3rd and short for the Eagles. McNabb is sacked and loses the football. The Patriots recover. I proceed to scream and punch the couch like it had something to do with the fumble. The Eagles challenge the play, and I have never been happier to see McNabb get sacked, as the play is reversed.

10 Minutes left in the 1st quarter-Donovan completes his second pass to Owens, who proceeds to run like he's got no problem with his broken leg. He thinks God healed him. I think it's a combonation of El Grande, the 24 ounce Coors can that I believe helped the Red Sox win the World Series, and Owens' hyperbolic chamber, which he believes to heal him faster. That, or I'm so delusional that he's not actually playing, rather, it's Freddie Mitchell making all these catches. I quickly snap back to reality and realize that even a one legged man can outplay Mitchell.

3 Minutes left in the 1st quarter-McNabb throws an interception, just one play after he had an interception called back. I again proceed to scream and attack the couch, all while balancing half a cheesesteak on my lap. The 1st half of the cheesesteak is already being digested, after being eaten in about 2 seconds. Did I mention I'm still shaking?

10 Minutes left in the 2nd quarter-Donovan to L.J. Smith. Touchdown. Eagles lead 7-0. I holler up to the heavens and proceed to thank God about 20 times in 20 seconds. I now think that we are going to win the Super Bowl, despite it still being in the 2nd quarter. My calender is instantly cleared for Tuesday, which would be the day of the parade.

5 Minutes left in the 2nd quarter-Tom Brady fumbles the football at the Eagles 5 yard line. Eagles recover. I now think that the Eagles are going to win in a blowout, because the Patriots never make mistakes in the Super Bowl. The dog is scared of me because of my yelling. My dad and stepmom are moving further away from me, and I think the people upstairs know I'm an Eagles fan, even though the never met me.

1 Minute left in the 2nd quarter-Brady passes to Givens. Touchdown Patriots. The announcers start saying how amazing Brady is. I won't argue it, but there is still another team in this game, so we can talk about them too. Oh yeah, the game is tied now and the dog thinks I'm possessed by satan.

Halftime-The most inoffensive halftime show ever, with Paul McCartney singing some of his old hits on a really trippy stage. I swear, if I were drunk or stoned, that stage would keep me happy for hours. After the game, the FCC still receives over 30 calls about drug references in the show. It's Paul McCartney, one of the Beatles and musical legend. ALL of his songs have some reference to drugs! I know those of you who called are afraid to leave the house and keep your 35 year old children locked in the room, but some of us like music unchanged. I know you used to listen to this music, now get over it. Ok, on to the 3rd quarter.

11 Minutes left in the 3rd quarter-Brady completes a pass to Mike Vrabel. Touchdown Patriots. Did I mention that Vrabel is a linebacker? How about that I called the play because once Vrabel comes into the game, he's getting the ball thrown to him. The couch must be getting tired of me sitting on it, because I'm punching the high holy hell out of it. Eagles are down by 7, and I don't know what to do.

3 Minutes left in the 3rd quarter-McNabb throws a touchdown to Westbrook that passes through the Patriots linebackers like a glitch in Madden. I'm still not sure how he got it through there, but I don't care. The game is tied again, and the Eagles are shocking more than a few people by staying in this game as long as they have. The people on the 3rd floor now know that I'm an Eagles fan.

13 Minutes left in the 4th quarter-Dillon runs in for a touchdown. The Fox announcers instantly get on his jock, talking about how long he's been waiting to play for a winner, since he used to play for the Bengals. Hello, how about the Eagles who played on the 3-13 1998 team? The Eagles only have three players who ever made it to a Super Bowl, and one of them was working construction two weeks before this. How about you try talking about that? The Patriots lead by a touchdown, and I'm starting to get concerned now. I need some codine or NyQuil right now.

8 and a half minutes left in the 4th quarter-The Patriots kick a field goal to make it a 10 point game. The only good thing about the field goal is that it was almost a touchdown, and then the game would have been over. I'm not really nervous now, just numb. On the plus side, when I did a drunken simulation of this game just the night before, the Eagles were down by 10 before they make an amazing comeback and win in overtime, so I'm still holding out hope.

7 Minutes left in the 4th quarter-Donovan throws an interception in Patriots territory. Death threats instantly begin forming in my head for both teams, starting with Freddie Mitchell and going from there. Nice game by the way Freddie, how's one catch sound for you so far?

Just under 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter-After the slowest no huddle in history, McNabb throws a bomb to Greg Lewis. Touchdown Eagles. Only down by 3, and now the people in the next building know I'm an Eagles fan. The scary thing is, this is almost exactly how the simulation said it was going to happen. I'm starting to freak out. Somehow, I'm not dead yet. Akers tries on onside kick that shouldn't have been attempted and the Patriots recover. They go 3 and out, but punt it down to the 4 yard line. Only 45 seconds left, and I need a change of pants.

17 seconds left in the 4th quarter-McNabb throws an interception to Harrison, the most hated player on the Patriots. Game over. I get up, grab my coat and leave before I see Brady take a final knee. I have no clue what the hell to do right now, so I stare into space while standing at my car. I hear fireworks go off in the distance, and I know the game is over.

11:00-Driving back to school, I've never seen so many depressed drivers. Merrill Reese sounds like he wants to kill himself on 94.1, and they put the trophy presentation on. I refuse to listen, so as far as I know, It didn't happen.

12:00-I get back to my room, and Eric beat me back. Half the Eagles papers up in the hallway are torn down, and as I enter the room, all we can do is sit and stare at each other. I refuse to go on the internet or watch TV, so I just stare into space again until I go to sleep. I still can't believe it happened this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment